Sunday, April 20, 2008

Huck Finn - Chap. 23

I find it funny that people will go to a show just because they think it's going to be dirty--and it was--and then get surprised about being jipped out of their money. Well, if a guy is willing to prance around on stage all painted up and naked, I don't think he'll feel too bad about taking your money.
I like how Huck can point out the exact number of dead cats in the place. That kind of amused me. It was pretty smart to take the money and run, even though it was probably not the right thing to do (maybe smart isn't the right word for it...). The way the duke talked about how he knew that the crowd would do that shows that this isn't the first time they've conned people out of their money.
I'm starting to really like Jim. He thinks more with his heart than with his head. The book showed how the white people thought of blacks as property back then because of how Huck said, "...and I do believe he cared just as much for his people as white folks does for their'n. It don't seem natural, but I reckon it's so." (p. 196) Even though Huck is only a child, he thinks more maturely than the adults did back then.
I like the story Jim told about his daughter Elizabeth and how he found out that she was deaf. She was probably just smiling at him because he was her dad and when he smacked her for not listening to him, I'm sure she didn't understand. The way Jim embraced her and said he'd never forgive himself and how he asked God to forgive him shows more of his loving character.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that Bam makes a really good point. I didn't think of it that way and I doubt that any of the people who came to watch saw it that way either, but obviously they should have. Bam says she’s starting too really like Jim, and I couldn’t agree more. It’s like he grows on you. At first I wasn’t sure, but as you get farther into the book you come to know him more and the more you get to know him the more he see his heart making the decisions rather than thinking and acting with his brain. I didn’t realize how mature Huck was in the way Bam was talking about. When Huck says that he thinks Jim has just as much emotion and love as a white man, I forget to think about how black people were treated and thought of, and instead I feel more like he just offended him in away