Wednesday, September 3, 2008

1984: pg. 37-81

I found it interesting how at the beginning of the chapter, Winston sighed before going to work--it said he couldn't help but sigh, even though a telescreen was there, so I'm guessing it was not an eager sigh--and then later said that his work was all that he lived for. I suppose, though, in that society, work would be the only thing to look forward to.

I would probably, most definitely have been vaporized by now. I feel it would be better to die free and independent than to live in a society than turns you into a mindless drone. I must not have been comprehending entirely. In the part where he was talking about Syme,I found Syme to not be that intelligent, yet Winston said he would be wiped away for knowing too much. I suppose that in the state they were in, that was intelligence, or doubleplusgood smartness...yeah.

I'm just waiting for a rebellion to start. There has to be SOME fire left in these people...deep down. Like Winston said, he could feel it in his bones and in his instincts that he was being lied to. He felt the power when all of those women were screaming. If at least a hundred of them could group together, and for something meaningful as Winston said (not over cooking pans), they could change their government...They just need to start a riot or something....

No comments: