Thursday, October 30, 2008

A Tale of Two Cities: pg 1-82

At the beginning, the reading seemed slightly difficult and I thought that the book was going to be written in an old English dialect from over a century ago, but as the book progressed, it became much easier to understand.
I found it interesting how Dickens says "One thousand seven hundred and seventy-five" all of the time instead of 1775 and "five-and-twentieth" for what I believe was supposed to be 25th.

There seemed to be a symbol when Dickens mentions "negro cupids," "black baskets of Dead Sea fruit," and "black divinities." Most likely he's trying to symbolize the death that's coming for the people because he was describing how the "likeness passed away," but I also believe that there might've been something else he was trying to say, though I'm not sure.

I like how Dickens describes the actions of his characters in such detail at times, like how Mr. Lorey constantly mashes at his wig and wears such neat clothes or how Monsieur Manette contantly looks down or to the side, away from people, and talks in a distant voice. These descriptions reveal the personalities and emotions of these two men. Mr. Lorey seems slightly nervous as a perfectionistic professional, while Monsieur Manette seems to be in a daze from his confinement. He hasn't truly come into contact with a person for a while, which makes the hug he shared with his daughter almost beautiful...

So far, this book is capturing my interest, so I am almost eager to find out what happens next...

1 comment:

JAA09 said...

I totally agree at the beginning of this book i was having trouble understand anything that was going on, there was nothing that was really out there to grab my attention and get into the book. But while more people and more incidents started to occure the reading became a little easier and things started to fit together but very loosely.