Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Tale of Two Cities: pg. 161-204

In the first section of our reading, Madame Defarge seems to be making shrouds with all of the knitting that she does, which foreshadows later events concerning the revolution because a shroud covers a corpse. I was somewhat worried when the Defarges were talking about Lucie's marriage to Darnay and how Charles's destiny "will lead him to the end that is to end him." Because Darnay is associated with the Marquis, he is to be killed; I really don't want this fate to befall him....

After Mannette has his relapse, he is speaking with Mr. Lorry, who refers to the Doctor in third person. This I found interesting because people still seem to do that today. When Mannette believes that he won't go into a relapse again and that the worst shock is over (figuring out Darnay's true identity the morning of the wedding), but I believe he is wrong and that the revolutionists will come after Darnay and his family....but Carton will save them.

I felt that Lucie hearing the echos became more forshadowing for the Revolution. She feels that something is closing in on her and she will die young (which, hopefully, she will be saved....sadly, perhaps at the cost of dear Mr. Carton's life...). I love how Lucie's children were fond of Carton because they can see his inner self, as children sometimes do.

The brutality of the beginning of the Revolution was gruesome...even though the people had been treated horribly by those people in higher authority. Madame Defarge always seems so composed and calm. Is there nothing that can break her? Nothing that can make her falter? She seemed to behead the governor with ease. What can possibly be going through the prisoners' heads at this point? They must be somewhat frightened (I think Dickens may have mentioned that), especially after seeing the seven heads hoisted up on sticks. Is this a symbol perhaps?

What is Defarge looking for in Mannette's cell? It was mentioned earlier in the story, but I don't think it told of the true identity of the object. What is the importance of this thing? Mannette wrote "DIG" on the wall, so he must've wanted someone to find it, so is it good that Defarge didn't? I'm interested to find out what that object was and what will become of the Doctor, his family/friends, and Carton....

3 comments:

hm said...

I am also very curious to see what Defarge and the Jaques were looking for in Dr. Manette's old cell. They looked everywhere except under the ground/floor, which we know there is something hidden under there.

KK said...

I was somewhat surprised to at the calmness of Madame Defarge, but I think we can relate it to Macbeth and how sometimes it is the women who are the strongest emotionally. Although in this case I know Madame Defarge is strongest emotionally, but perhaps physically, too! haha

~~still_no_pickles~~ said...

Yes, I'm going to take a moment to comment on my own blog and emphasize the "sometimes" part of saying that women are the strongest. Everyone has his or her own strongpoints and way of intelligence; one cannot say that women in general are stronger, some women are stronger than most men, some women are weaker. I believe it depends upon the person and I think that there are times when a person needs to be submissive in order to be strong.