Thursday, December 4, 2008

A Tale of Two Cities: pg. 246-297

I am beginning to love Sydney Carton and I believe that A-Jac could possibly be right about how he saves Darnay. I was thinking that he might take his place somehow before this, but I forgot how he somewhat resembles Darnay (although, I believe that in the court hearing, they were talking about it being dark). I'm sure that Carton is going to take Darnay's place and die for him, but I'm not sure how yet. Perhaps he will claim to be the real Marquis and that Darnay was covering for him? Just a wild and out there guess, but I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

Carton seemed to be contemplating his death the night before Darnay's second hearing as he looked at the sky and thought of that Bible verse. I think that he had some comfort in remembering it as he looked at the quiet scenery and the, shall I say "confident", waters. I found it somewhat interesting how the night was thought of as tranquil and peaceful, while the day seemed to fade that peace away as the stars and moon disappeared, because most times in literature, the night is ominous while the day brings a new light. I thought that the light gave Carton a sort of strength, though, and he seemed stronger that morning as the light shone on him, he drank only coffee (and not alcohol), and he was reassured by Lucie's loving expression towards her husband.

I had forgotten about that piece of paper from the Doctor's old cell. I'm anxious to know what it reads, but I'm worried about the position it shall put Darnay in because the people will most likely side against him now, as they are so easily swayed (especially by Mannette's words).

Some parts of this story are beginning to echo 1984 (as a lot of subjects seem to do now that that book has been carved into my brain). People are beginning to be loyal to the Republic and "denounce" each other to it, similar to the Party members in 1984 which would denounce their friends, wives, husbands, fathers, mothers, and whoever they should be siding with to the Thought Police. The people of France seem to be brainwashed and crazed by this Revolution. Before, they cared about the loyalty to each other that they must have and the anarchy against the government, but now, they don't seem so loyal to their peers, but to the Republic, which seems to me like a form of government as they willingly chop of the peoples' heads.

By the way, I was with Carton when the book said that he had to turn away so he didn't strike down the wood-sawyer as he applauded the Guillotine. I'm anxious to see what happens next with Carton. Even though he's not really the main character of the story, as it seems because he's not mentioned as much as others, he's my favorite so far.

No comments: