Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Grapes of Wrath: pgs 280-336

I enjoyed the part of this section of reading where Casy kicks the policeman in the neck and knocks him out. I feel sorry for the woman whose fingers were blown off, but at least Tom tripped the man so he didn't kill Floyd.
One part that I found odd, though, was when the people surrounded the Joads truck and stopped them. At least they were prepared with the wrench and the jack (I believe it was a jack) to try and defend themselves. It's a good thing Ma held Tom back or else he probably would've killed somebody. But the part that was different for me was the fact that Tom almost began sobbing. I think that he was either so scared that the people would hurt someone in the family or else it hurt him so much to hold back from hitting someone...maybe a combo of both, I'm not really sure.
I thought the part with Winfield and Ruthie and the toilets was kind of amusing. Ruthie was bragging about having gone to the bathroom in one and she compared it to the material that their plates are made out of. It was funny how they thought Winfield broke the toilet because he flushed it. It just kind of shows how naive they were as kids who'd always lived in the country. It also showed some nature of how children are in how they try to brag to each other and be all "important" and are not always truthful. Ruthie said that she wouldn't tell anybody that Winfield broke the toilet and then she blurted it out to Ma. Although, Winfield seemed to forget about it right away because he didn't say anything.
I guess the bathroom scene showed how children can be naive and get embarrassed, but it also showed how adults do the same thing when Ma realized that she was in the Men's bathroom.

1 comment:

c-comets said...

I agree with you about tom being afraid that he was going to hurt someone in the family. I also thought it was funny when Winfield was bragging about going pee in a toilet!! That's something you hear everyday.