Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Grapes of Wrath: pgs. 386-448

Well, this section of reading started out contently for the Joads but just seemed to go downhill. I'm betting that they're going to really regret leaving that government camp. (I thought they could get money by cleaning up the camp or something. Why didn't they just do that for food?)
The new camp they're at up north is intolerant. The guards look down on the Okies. I found the part with Ma at the store kind of intersting. But what she said at the end made sense to me. She said something about how if you need something, only a poor man will give it to you, which I find is for the most part true. If you've never been hungry, you won't know the pain another person is going through when they're begging for food; but if you have, you will most likely take pity on that person and give them food. Speaking of food, I find it kind of funny how Tom was complaining at the beginning of the book because he was so used to getting food the same time every day...now look at his eating habbits.
I was pleasantly surpised when Casy came back into the story, but I had never expected him to get his skull smashed in by an angry guy with a pitch-handle (or whatever the weapon was). I can somewhat understand Tom's rage and could invision his reaction to Casy's death pretty clearly in my mind.
Ma's favorite in the family seems to be Tom. She depends on him more than she does her husband. It's almost like the roles of Tom and Pa were switched around. For that time period, Ma suposedly should've been leaning on Pa and giving Tom orders; but I suppose she did say she was trying to keep Pa sane by keeping him mad (which sounds kind of funny if you don't think of it as the angry kind of mad).
I'm curious as to whats going to happen next. Tom's face is bruised and scarred and he could get caught, Winfield was sick, Rose of Sharon is going to have her baby soon, Pa's loosing his place as the head of the family, and Al is thinking of leaving.
The family's bad attitudes just kind of shows you how "animal" we can become when we are deprived of our basic needs.

No comments: