Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Great Gatsby: Chapter Uno

This book so far seems like the opposite point of view of The Grapes of Wrath. In fact, when I saw that the rich snot's name was Tom, I thought of Tom from "Grapes," even though this Tom is pretty much nothing like our previous Tom. (I kind of found it funny how Nick would always refer to him as Tom Buchanan instead of just Tom.)
I guess opposites must attract because Daisy was like the complete opposite of Tom. Even though they both had a rich air to them, Daisy seemed to be a bubbly and perky person with slight ADD, while Tom seemed crabby and controlling. Once he mensioned how the whites were the superior race, which showed more of his arrogance.
I kind of enjoyed some of Nick's sarcasm. Like when Daisy asked if anyone missed her, he said, "The whole town is desolate. All the cars have the left rear wheel painted black as a mourning wreath and there's a persistent wail all night long along the North Shore." I thought it was kind of funny because--unless they had different colors of tires back then--the left back tire would already be black.
I felt sorry for Daisy when she found out Tom was cheating on her. I found a certain phrase she said interesting: "...that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool." I guess that that could somewhat be true with the society we live in today because there's more emphasis placed on beauty than brilliance, and I'm sure that back then a woman's opinion really wasn't of any importance at all.
I'm kind of wondering what Gatsby is going to be like. He is a rich man in a mansion, but he seemed quiet and content at the first sight Nick took of him. To me, he seemed less arrogant than the other rich folks and I'm kind of curious about what his personality is going to be like.

4 comments:

Raymond Redwing Reporter said...

Your observations are incredibly keen. Any one who reads this blog should really pay attention to the things you pick out. It's amazing how you pick up on these subtle hints in the test. Keep picking up on those details. We need to see more blogs like this.

Rosalia said...

I like how you compared what Daisy said about the beautiful fool and how that is what she wants her daughter to be like and how you compared that to these days and how it doesn't seem like being bright is that important and how back then it wasn't important at all.

Rebel Without a Cause said...

I agree that Tom and Daisy were complete opposites of one another, but that doesn't necessarily mean that opposites attract because they didn't seem that happy together, and besides that Daisy just found out that Tom is having an affair. I liked the way you phrased that the tires should already be black so why would they be painted. I guess I never really thought of that, and also I thought it was sad that she said that she wanted her daughter to be a beautiful fool. I think that she was saying that because she didn't want her daughter to care as much as she does.

c-comets said...

I completely agree with you on how Tom and Daisy are complete opposites. Daisy also seems a bit nieve too the fact that Tom is cheating on her.