Monday, November 12, 2007

The Great Gatsby: Chapter 4

I like this book better than The Grapes of Wrath. It seems to have a little more meaning and symbolism, even though there are still some wrongs that go on.

Well, first of all, one of the main things that I remember from the reading was the part where Nick is going on a drive with Mr. Gatsby in Gatsby's fancy car and they pass a limo. Nick laughs because there is a white man driving the limo and three black people riding in it and they are all looking enviously at him. He said that anything can happen now that they're over the bridge. I didn't really like how he referred to the three black people as "two bucks and a girl". Calling a person a buck, unless that's their name, just doesn't really sound good to me. I guess that he was still in that time period though.

I'm kind of wondering where Mr. Wolfsheim got the molars for his cuffs. It said that they were the finest in human teeth so that's kind of a mystery to me...and somewhat creepy. Why on earth he would want human teeth for cuffs, I don't know.

I figured Nick would sorta hook up with Jordan, but I'd never have guessed that Gatsby and Daisy used to be a couple. I think that Daisy would've been way better off with Gatsby than Tom because I really don't like Tom that much. I'm curious as to what will come next. Maybe Gatsby and Daisy will do the same thing that Tom is doing behind Daisy's back, but if Tom finds out, he'll probably go bizurk and severely harm or kill somebody. I don't know...we'll have to see.

1 comment:

Rebel Without a Cause said...

I guess I didn't actually realize that his cuff were made of human teeth. That makes me really think. Gross!!! I didn't really think that Jordan and Nick would hook up for some reason. I don't know why, but Jordan seemed a little too stuck up for Nick, in my opinion.