Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The Great Gatsby: Chapter 2-3

I'm kind of starting to like Nick a little more. I enjoyed how he mocked pretty much everything and everyone at the party at Tom's apartment. I don't really get why those people would want to be so proper and rich and whatever. There's more important things in life to look forward to. And if I was in Myrtle's shoes, and Tom had smacked me in the nose, no matter how much pain I was in, I would've grabbed the nearest expensive vase and made it lose it's priceless value all over his ugly face, if you get my drift. I don't care how rich he is, it's not worth it for her to stay with him.

I found it interesting how Nick would refer to the people at Gatsby's party as men and "girls". I guess it just shows you the change in the time periods. Back then, it was normal for some old guy to date a young woman, but now we'd think it was just a little creepy. And I'm not sure about "Owl-eyes" and his compadre from the car accident, but they should've cut off their drinks about...oh, I'd say...10 bottles ago! I found it kind of funny that when people told them that the car had lost it's tire the one guy looked up in the air.

So far Mr. Gatsby seems like an alright guy. I'm not really sure that I believe that he killed somebody, but he is very mysterious. If he did kill somebody, it was either an accident or he has changed his ways since then because he seemed really friendly and always referred to Nick as "old sport". Maybe that's why he didn't drink at his party...maybe he killed somebody when he was drunk....just a stray thought.

Anyways, I'm kind of curious to see what'll come next. I figured that Nick probably had a thing for Jordan, so I wonder if they'll get together or whatever. I guess we'll all see....

2 comments:

hm said...

I do agree with you when you said you would have grabbed a vase and broke it over Tom's head when he hit Myrtle! I also think Gatsby is mysterious, but I don't think he killed a guy. Rumors probably started and, just like in Raymond, it started with kissing a girl and ended with killing a man (just random rumors).

A-jac said...

I think you bring up an interesting point when you say that Gatsby could have killed a man when he was drunk. The thought had't crossed my mind.